How do I calculate the combined % disability?

More
9 years 3 months ago #4 by sfoster
How is the % combined disability calculated if I have more than one disability?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #5 by sfoster
Replied by sfoster on topic How do I calculate the combined % disability?
If you have more than one disability, the percentages are combined using a formula illustrated below. The percentages are not added and are not averaged. It is more complicated because the combined disability cannot be greater than 100%.

The VA makes a determination about the severity of your disability based on the evidence you submit as part of your claim (the MyVABenefits app knows all of the evidence that you need to submit for each disability for your claim - it is not just a calculator, but it also helps you gather the evidence you need to get the highest disability you qualify for). The VA rates each disability from 0% to 100% in 10% increments (e.g. 10%, 20%, 30% etc.)

If a Veteran has two disabilities, a 40 percent disability and a 30 percent disability, the combined value is 58 percent but that must be rounded up to 60 percent to represent the final degree of disability. Once you determine your combined (total) disability, you can use a lookup table to find how much the VA will pay you each month... or you can use the MyVaBenefits app to do all the work for you.

To combine a 40% disability and a 30% disability, use the following steps:
1. 100% - %40 = %60
2. 60% * .3 = 18%
3. 40% + 18% = 58%
4. round up the 58% to 60%

As you can see, it gets complicated fast. Especially if you have 3 or more disabilities. That is why it is easy to have the MyVABenefits app do it for you. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.442 seconds